Common Tree Diseases in SE MichiganIn order to protect your plants from infection, it’s first necessary to recognize the sheer variety of diseases that trees can get in Southeast Michigan. These include:
Other Common Tree Diseases
- Apple Scab - A fungal infection, apple scab infects both apple and ornamental crabapple trees. It causes yellow and dark green spots to form on the leaves, which gradually make the leaves wilt and fall off. The disease also infects the fruit, and dark spots can even spread to the lower sections of the plant.
- Anthracnose - This fungal infection affects both shrubs and trees and tends to thrive in environments that are cool or moist. It causes wet, dark spots to form throughout the plant, particularly on the leaves, fruit, and stems. While anthracnose will not directly destroy your trees and shrubs, it does make them weaker, increasing the chance that they will be taken down by other diseases or by pests. This makes it important to address and eliminate this disease as quickly as possible.
- Black Knot - This fungus causes a stark black gall to grow around the branches and stems of your trees, which is bumpy and rough to the touch. It attacks fruit trees, with a particular tendency to damage cherry and plum plants. It does not directly destroy the trunk of your trees, but it does open them up to infection from other fungi and bacteria that will destroy them.
Thanks to our region’s cool, wet climate and heavily forested countryside, virtually all yards in Michigan are vulnerable to these diseases. Even if you have never noticed them on your trees before, spores can blow them onto your property from miles away with little or no notice. Thus if you want to keep your trees in good condition, you must come up with a plan to prevent and manage these diseases.
Safari Tree’s Preventative Tree Care & TreatmentSafari Tree is committed to eliminating every manner of tree disease quickly and comprehensively. We invest heavily in proactive care, preventing tree diseases from ever arising through:
- Deep Root Feeding- Under our standard Tree Care Program, we fertilize your trees’ deep roots both during the spring and in the fall. This helps trees grow stronger, allowing them to resist any diseases that attack them more effectively.
- Fungal Spray- We apply several rounds of fungal spray throughout the summer, which kills any spores that land on your tree or fungal illnesses that are at an early stage of development. As a result, fungi cannot establish themselves on trees, limiting their ability to spread and severely harm your yard.
- Insect Control- By spraying insecticides periodically during the summer and applying dormant oil to keep them away in the spring, we not only directly protect the trees from insects. We also prevent insects from leaving openings for fungi to get into the plants.